For the longest time, this questioned annoyed me. Maybe it's because it feels belittling. Maybe it's because I can never think of an answer to the question leading me to feel frustrated and that I'm proving the stereotypes of stay at home mom's right. Maybe it's because I wish I had a profound answer that would instantly make that person respect the "job position" I've accepted. Maybe it's because for the longest time, I swore I would never be a stay at home mom. Maybe it's also because it is typically asked by career driven men who I assume will never be impressed, so why bother? (See how a lot of these things are my own insecurities that manifest themselves into perceived intentions of others? Yikes)
Because of this, I decided to make a job description of my life of a stay at home mom. I feel like it'd be hard to list the day by day activities (even with a routine), but just like any job, things pop up, schedules change, and adjustments have to be made. So, here's a quick overview to hopefully speak to those who often ask this question :).
If I missed anything, let me know. :)
Stay- At-Home Mom Job Duties:
- Inventory Management: Maintain and stock inventory of household goods in a timely manner. (Nothing worse than running out of diapers mid blowout...or running out of coffee.....)
- Conflict Resolution: Responsible for all at-home conflict to include: temper tantrums, resistance to authority, and a misunderstanding of instruction/end goal. This also includes the ability to discipline as needed.
- Relationship Management: Connect with existing and new family and friends by various forms of communication: face-to-face, email, texting, etc.
- Financial Management: Responsibly spend money based on wants/needs.
- Ensures peak mental/physical performance of all in household by planning, preparing, and serving three meals a day. (take-out counts ;))
- Attend daily/weekly/monthly (as needed) meetings with co-manager (spouse) to ensure communication, teamwork, and objectives are in place (and running smoothly)
- Primary instructor of mental and physical development of littlest employee(s).
- Primary caretaker when employees are sick. This also includes administering medicine/treatment as needed.
- Maintain family calendar and schedule appointments as needed.
- Plan and execute outings for employee development and team bonding.
- Build and maintain a routine that best suits employees.
- Prevent an abundance of insects or other interesting "sciencey" stuff from forming by maintaining a clean(ish) house.
- Physical and Mental Development: Exercise as employees (dog and baby) and weather permit. Make attempts to read and study as time allows (ha).
Stay-At-Home Mom Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent researching skills. Applicant must possess thorough data-gathering skills regarding poop, sleep, etc.
- Ability to say "no." (to employees AND others)
- Ability to find means other than sleep to have energy and execute daily duties.
- Ability to LAUGH and enjoy fellow employees.
- Ability to multi-task. (duh)
- Bilingual. (ability to speak in baby talk/hand motions)
- Patience and the ability to smile and nod at unsolicited advice.
- Must accept terms regarding vacation/sick days (IE: DOES NOT EXIST).
- Ability to work independently. (while there is no direct overseer giving annual performance reviews, thankfully there is prayer. Lots and lots of prayer.)
- The desire to love, forgive, and ask for forgiveness on a daily basis.
- Ability to lovingly support and encourage other (stay-at-home OR working) moms.
*ALL "TRAINING" IS DONE ON THE JOB*
*THIS LIST IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND DUTIES MAY ARISE AS EMPLOYEES GROW AND/OR OTHER EMPLOYEES ARE ADDED TO THE COMPANY*