Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Whole30: A Reasoning Why and a Summary of Days 1-2

I (along with a couple of friends) started the Whole30 on June 1.

Why?

Because I wanted to, and that should be good enough reason for you. :)

No, but really, with a recent diagnosis with Celiac Disease, I've really struggled with what I can and cannot eat. I've cried once or twice because I can no longer eat donuts or normal pizza. I started obsessively eating ice cream and any other gluten free junk food I could get my hands on. I also developed a strange love for Coca-Cola-a soda I previously HATED. (I'm putting the full name because I don't want it mistaken for anything else ;)) I knew that instead of developing really bad habits in the name of "boo hoo I deserve this because I can't have ____" (Seriously, one time convinced Alex to take me to get frozen yogurt because he got to have pizza), I needed to develop a healthy relationship with food and to focus on all of the delicious and satisfying food I CAN eat. Also, sugar cravings are real and I wanted to be able to claim ownership over them.

I made an Instagram documenting random thoughts and what I'm eating during my Whole30. (You can check it out RIGHT HERE :))

So far, I'm having a lot of fun coming up with things to eat and trying to create variety in my diet. (If you follow my blog at all, you know I have numerous posts dedicated solely to meal planning)

Here's how days 1-2 went:

Day 1: The last time I attempted the Whole30, I was unhealthily OBSESSED with researching EVERYTHING. I was so scared to mess up that thinking about eating gave me anxiety. Because of this, Alex and I ultimately decided that I didn't have a very healthy mindset and that it would be better to revisit this after a little more time to CALM DOWN and come up with a healthy plan. This time around, I told myself that I would keep this Whole30 simple, especially on Day 1.

Honestly, day 1 is really easy. Anyone can change what they would normally eat for one day.

When I said I was keeping it simple on Day 1, I wasn't joking. I had scrambled eggs and coffee for breakfast (which is actually pretty normal for me).

I bought the new Whole30 book and have zero buyers remorse. Seriously. My whole lunch is brought to you by the recipes in that book-the Perfect Seared Chicken and the Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts. I made a bunch of the chicken and am using it for multiple meals (as you will see...).

 Dinner was a quick and easy salad with mixed greens, red onion, carrot, chicken, asparagus topped with Red Wine Vinegar and Olive Oil.

Probably the most depressing part of Day 1 was having a GF brownie offered to me and having to turn it down. Seriously, how often do other people bake GF Brownies? And I can't eat it? UGH.

Day 2: Frequently known as "the hangover," it went a whole lot better than expected. I did not have a headache or hangover feeling at all. Apparently, this is pretty exciting :)

I did notice one issue---every time I ate a meal, I would feel full fairly quickly only to be hungry again an hour later. Because I'm trying not to do a whole bunch of snacking, I tried to pinpoint why this may be. I get distracted fairly easily and will do random things while eating-  look at my phone, play with my dog, look up various things on my laptop. I'm going to try just focusing on eating and see if that helps me eat an adequate amount AND feel fuller longer. 

Breakfast was an "omelet" filled with mushroom, onion, and green pepper. I topped it off with salsa and salt and pepper. I say omelet in quotations because I was not born to be an omelet maker. Seriously.


Lunch was something I make a lot actually--potatoes, a sausage of some kind, green peppers, and onions cooked in olive oil on a skillet. 


For dinner, I had two different salads-the fruit salad included grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, and strawberries. (I ended up having two bowls :)). The salad on the left was mixed greens, spinach, carrots, red onion, chicken, and salsa. I love salsa. 

I was able to go on a run that evening and feel alright during and after. That night, I also took an Epsom salt bath with baking soda and an essential oil blend added to it. I'm clearly trying to get rid of toxins any way that I can ;).  



All in all, days 1 and 2 (of 30!) went pretty well. It is so helpful to have multiple friends to talk to about our recipes, struggles, and successes. Also, Instagram provides a surprisingly supportive community of fellow Whole30ers. :)

 I'm excited (and scared!) to see what the rest of the month will bring. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment