Monday, March 16, 2015

Some Words About Words.

This morning, I read James 1-3 during my quiet time. I always ask for the Lord to reveal more of himself to me and to convict me when there is a part of my life I hold onto. 

This morning, I was reminded of how I hold onto my words and how I choose to use them. 

On one hand, I will openly talk about God's grace, His love and redemption sent through Jesus, and the joy and peace I have been given through Him. On the other hand, I will openly complain, criticize, and can sometimes be just plain mean with how I choose to use my words. 

I often allow frustration to consume me and let it control how I speak.

I often allow the temptation to compare myself to others and then criticize them to make myself feel better (it doesn't).

I often let circumstances control my outlook and speak accordingly. I allow anxiety and assumptions to dictate my outlook and opinions about different situations or people. 

James 3 then goes into a few verses about wisdom from above. James 3:17 "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." 

This morning, my prayer was that Christ could use my words to encourage others and bring them to Him (in spite of myself). I asked that the same mouth that can cause so much destruction and negativity would seek restoration and to show grace to others. I asked for forgiveness for how I often choose to speak. I asked that my words would be filled with thankfulness and joy. I asked for a mind set on Him and to be convicted when I start to speak and act selfishly. 

Lastly, (and this is one of the hardest parts) I asked for women who would encourage and point me to Christ when my words don't reflect Him. I choose myself instead of Christ more often than I'd like to admit. The church needs women (and men) who will encourage each other and lovingly point them to Christ during times of frustration, struggles, and/or disagreements. (I've noticed that my words often are associated with what I am currently dealing with in life.) 

I would love and appreciate it if you could pray for me today as each day is a new day to use my words to bring Truth, or to bring destruction and hurt. Please let me know if there is anything you need prayer for. 

1 comment:

  1. Your beliefs become your thoughts,
    Your thoughts become your words,
    Your words become your actions,
    Your actions become your habits,
    Your habits become your values,
    Your values become your destiny.
    Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete