Wednesday, March 11, 2015

New Healthy Recipes We Love

(BEFORE I BEGIN--I say they are new healthy recipes we love, but I am basing that on different factors than most would use to consider a recipe as "healthy." The listed meals all fall under Paleo guidelines, but what we like the most about them is that we know every ingredient in our meals)

We are in no way perfect "clean" eaters, but we are trying.

We recently started going to a local store to find grass fed/organic meats. We haven't banned grocery store meats, but when (and while) we can, we want to eat the higher quality stuff. (I say while we can because who knows what will happen to our food budget once we have kids---NO I'M NOT PREGNANT).



So, if you're looking to eat healthier, or even if you want to try new recipes, I hope that if you decide to try these recipes, you like them as much as we do. Also, if you've already mastered some of these cooking techniques/methods, I ALWAYS love advice to make things easier/tastier/etc.


1) Bacon Apple Smothered Pork Chops by Nom Nom Paleo I still have dreams about these things. I'm not kidding. Thinking about them right now makes me want some. (We are making them again this weekend :)) The only ingredient I did not add was the fish sauce. I also used organic butter instead of ghee. Seriously, these are delicious. I know bacon is controversial in including this as a "healthy" recipe, but we were able to find grass fed/no sugar/no curing bacon, so for us, it's not so bad. Also, the apple balances out the bacon. ;). Alex even said the apples on the pork chops are better than serving the pork chops with applesauce. (Is that a mid-western thing?) I served them with baked potatoes.

2) Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie by Cook Like A Cavewoman Seriously.....this was so hearty and delicious with ZERO regret afterwards. It's filling, healthy, and yummy. Can you really beat a recipe with those three adjectives? I accidentally shook a whole lot of cinnamon in there, so it did have a pretty strong cinnamon taste, but I think next time I will add different spices as well as the CORRECT amount of cinnamon. :)

3) Zucchini Noodles with Seasoned Chicken/Marinara Sauce. I used Nom Nom Paleo's method to prep the zucchini/cut the noodles and this recipe to actually stir fry them (I doubled the water because I used 4 zucchini instead of 2). I did end up draining the noodles before serving them. They only take about 5-6 minutes to make, so that was my last step. Beforehand, I baked chicken with Italian seasoning in the oven and then cut it up and mixed it with some marinara sauce on the stove. I usually just buy a jar and look at the labels to avoid sauces with sugar added and any other ingredient I can't pronounce. ;)

4) Bacon-Jalapeo Burger Balls by The Clothes Make the Girl I know I talked about making these in this meal plan and I was nervous to try them. They.Were.So.Good. Alex made them and the Awesome Sauce (no relish this time :)). He used regular mayo/ketchup for the Awesome Sauce. That Awesome Sauce really is awesome. And it was amazing on the burger balls. I know this recipe doesn't sound "healthy" either, but in it's truest form (her recipe), it is a meal that allows us to have control over 100% of the ingredients and know what is in our food.



We were going to do the Whole 30 for all of March, but then I started obsessing over ingredients/food quality, researching non-stop, and having nightmares about food. I realized very quickly that this was COMPLETELY missing the point of the Whole 30. It's supposed to help me create a healthy outlook towards food and my diet instead of what I was doing. I'm going to keep experimenting with different meals that can be eaten on the Whole 30 and hopefully actually do one sometime this year. Also, we need to figure out how to meal plan/prep in a way that fits our budget and also doesn't leave us hungry all of the time.

Let me know if you decide to try any/all of these recipes! I know they are all pretty meat heavy, but I am looking for good vegetarian recipes to add to the mix as well.



(Here is the hidden section of the blog that reveals what else I eat-including the massive amount of the desserts I ate last weekend and for the first few days of this week. Also, it fails to mention my love for pizza and that I ate 3 pieces of it today for lunch and didn't even feel bad about it.)












No comments:

Post a Comment