Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What We Expect, But Never Want to Endure


So today is the day I travel back from Michigan where I attended my Grandma's funeral.Times like these always get me thinking about things. A couple of days ago, I was thinking a lot about the things in life that we fully expect to happen, but never want to get the confirmation that it actually does. There are plenty of things personally that I can think of dealing with this exact issue.

-Death of a loved one.

-My husband leaving for a potentially dangerous place in the world for an extended amount of time.

-Learning that something in my body is not functioning 100%.

-Witness or hear about mistakes my future children make that may or may not be fixable.

-Disappointing or hurting a friend or family member.

-Being disappointed by a friend or family member.

and on and on.

I hate AND love that I am constantly reminded how "human" I really am. It's crazy to think that we fully expect all of those listed events to happen, but a lot of times are hit with shock and intense emotion when they do. I'm learning that one of the only things I can control is how I respond to these situations. By that, I don't even mean mentally or emotionally, because I often lose control of that aspect of my life as well. I'm learning that when my response is to go to the One who sees and knows it all, I can feel the most in control. Not that I suddenly have everything figured out, but that there is a peace and and understanding that no matter what comes my way, He's there loving me through it. I hope that no matter what you are going through now, or may come your way in the future, that you experience that same love and peace.

"In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:4-5. Sometimes that darkness lingers for a while, but He can and will shine through it if you let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment