Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What Do I Think About?

Yesterday, I wrote a blog post about my struggle with depression (Click here if you missed it). In that post I quoted a verse that I read last Wednesday-- Romans 8:5 "Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds on what the Spirit desires." I said in my post that when I read it, I wasn't quite ready to deal with it. So, this morning, I decided to dive into that verse. 

1) So often my mind is set on changes I would like to see--in my husband, in my friends, in myself. I don't think wanting change is inherently bad, but so often my desire is self seeking and based on my perceptions. Also, I am loved JUST as I am, so I am constantly convicted to love others with the same grace and acceptance I have been given. My prayers for other are changing from "change this part of them" to "change my heart and teach me how to pray for and love this person." 

2) So often my mind is set on really, REALLY petty things. I have a constant battle with my obsession with reality tv and celebrities. It is ridiculous and pathetic actually. I feel like scum every time I finish watching a show or reading a tabloid, and it never contributes anything positive to my life. Instead of having my mind set on catching up with the latest drama, I should be praying for our world filled with a lot of broken and hurting people (myself included!). (P.S. I'm really embarrassed to share my struggle with reality tv and celebrity gossip--it's just a personal conviction of mine that I find myself failing all the time).

3) So often my mind is set on seeking security in any way possible. I consider myself a Type B personality with a ton of Type A characteristics (or maybe it's the other way around). I like to have a plan and change is OKAY as long as we've planned for it. (Doesn't make sense, I know). So often I find myself praying for things to go according to my plan and that my will be done.It is hard for my mind to comprehend that I serve a God who sees SO much more than my mind could even fathom, and that sometimes His plan doesn't guarantee MY security. I don't want my mind to be set on living a life simply focused on how to make MY life better and more comfortable. 1 Corinthians 10:24 "No one should seek their own good, but the good of others." 

I've listed just a few examples of things typically on my mind. Like I've mentioned before, I am constantly thinking, so please do not think this list is exhaustive...I've got a whole lot of stuff going on up there that makes me thankful for Christ's never-ending patience and grace with me. 

My intention with this post is to show that even though I follow Christ and would openly say that, I still don't have it all figured out. As I spend time in the Word and prayer, I am finding myself putting less emphasis on trying to make myself perfect, but instead, I am focusing on the One who is perfect and loves me despite my imperfections. I hope you experience that same love today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment