Monday, February 16, 2015

Our Meal Plan (6)

Happy Monday!

My mind and my stomach have a love/hate relationship. In their moments of love, they agree on the fact that whole foods filled with vitamins and nutrients are the best option. My mind thinks of delicious and healthy recipes that my stomach then thanks it for. This past week, my mind and stomach have hated each other. My mind has thought of things like "the more cheese, the better," and "ranch goes with everything." Also, ice cream is basically the only thing I have been able to think about. My stomach really hates dairy in excess and has responded in accordance with this. I've basically been walking around with a constant stomach ache and the grogginess that comes with poor food decisions. So there's a brief of the result of no meal planning and constant fast food/eating out for me. 

You'll also find that I am not overly innovative when it comes to the kitchen, so I will repeat meals fairly often. I recently had the realization that I don't need to plan a very "involved" meal for dinner every night- season some chicken, steam some veggies, and call it a night. Why did it take so long for me to realize this? It may be the overachiever in me.

My friend Alysha sent me this picture this week with a text saying "Meal Planning At It's Finest," and I have to say, she's right. So, here's our meal plan this week summed up in a pic. Just kidding :).



So, here's what we are REALLY eating this week:
Bacon-Jalapeno Burger Meat Balls- I am all sorts of nervous about this one. My last experience with a jalapeno was not a very good one (just imagine me crying with bright red eyes, nose, and mouth pouring milk on my face). Also, I wanted to buy premade relish, but Alex wants to try making our own. Worst case scenario, I will just use ketchup. We are trying this one out because we are planning a Whole 30 soon, so we are testing out some recipes before we start. I'm not going to make the homemade mayo or ketchup this time either. I have been eyeing out and planning to buy some dressings/condiments from Tessemae's before we start our Whole 30 though. Check them out! You will actually be able to recognize EVERY ingredient in their stuff :) (and yes, they are a little pricey, but everyone has their own cost/benefit analysis of things).

Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potato-I've made this one before and we really, really, REALLY liked it. Also, it is basically impossible to feel guilty after eating it. I buy nitrate-free bacon (still no luck finding no-sugar added) and everything tastes so much better cooked in bacon grease. :)

As much as I love finding recipes and cooking them, sometimes I come home and do NOT want anything to do with the kitchen. This means I typically end up  picking up fast food. In an effort to avoid this, I did buy some Lean Cuisine frozen dinners. Our grocery store (Harris Teeter) had a sale to get 4 for $10, so I thought it was worth a try. I am interested to see if I like them or not. I tried to stick with chicken/veggie options versus the noodle/heavy sauce dinners---rice and noodles are basically unavoidable with those options though. 

I also have stuff for salads that I pre-prepare so they are easy to grab and eat. Sometimes I put chicken in the salad,but this week I am just going to do peppers, cheese, hard boiled egg, and lettuce. Pretty simple. I like to mix red wine vinegar with olive oil and use that as my dressing. 

I've mentioned in a previous post that we are working hard on a budget for our family and we do factor in eating out. The amount I can spend varies week by week depending on our schedules, but this week I can justify having one lunch and one dinner out. Since I typically go somewhere like Chipotle, Chik-fil-a, or Panera, I can typically stay in budget pretty easily. 

I know our meal plan isn't super exciting this week, but I hope you will try one of these recipes, and if you do, I hope you let me know how it turned out for you! :) Also, if you've tried something recently that you and your family enjoyed, please let me know. I love trying new things! 


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13550161/?claim=rrvpdcs6vzk

No comments:

Post a Comment