Sunday, January 11, 2015

What We're Eating This Week (3)


Hello there! I'd like to start by making a few points:

1) I will not typically make the "skinny" version of a very fattening dish. I rarely find them as satisfying and I always end up going out to get the real version afterwards. Also, I laugh out loud at any recipe claiming to be "skinny" or "clean"  but calls for 2-3 lbs of shredded cheese. I laugh and laugh and then typically double the amount of cheese the recipe calls for. ;)

2) I try to do something paleo, something vegeterian, and something spicy every week.

3) Then are those weeks I crave a really fatty dinner, so you know what...we will have a fatty dinner that week. (And, like, 10 desserts) BALANCE. ;)

4) We love leftovers. So the recipe must be easily doubled...or already portioned out so that we have leftovers for lunch/another dinner on busy nights.

5) Sometimes I plan really delicious meals and then I burn everything every step of the way (or I forget to plug the crock pot in so the raw chicken just hangs out for about 7 hours). My plan then turns into ordering pizza...or cereal.

So here's my plan for this week assuming I follow directions and don't play Trivia Crack while I am sauteing meat/veggies. :)

Meal OnePaleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes I like this meal because it could easily be a meal for one for those nights you might find yourself without another person to cook for. I'm going to make sure I have extra stuffing and can make it not Paleo with a tortilla for lunch the next day ;). Also, I may find a different veg to substitute with the Brussels sprouts...

(ALSO: if I have any leftover sweet potatoes, I'm totally making this for breakfast: Sweet Potato Hash...so yummy, filling, and good for you! I don't typically add the peppers though.)

Meal Two: Baked Chicken Chimichangas Alex loves these and requested them to eat this week. P.S.--olive oil is a good substitute for the melted butter. P.P.S.--I normally cook the chicken in the crock pot during the day...it takes like 10 minutes to make these when I do it that way. (Not including the cooking time duhhhhh).

Meal Three: Steak Stir Fry I think this would be really good substituted with chicken, but since I'm already making two meals with chicken, I will stick with the steak this time. :)

Meal Four: Tortellini Pasta Salad THIS IS SO GOOD! I'm making this to have on hand for lunches or a quick dinner. It's easy to prep and gets yummier every day. :) I know it is technically a side, but it's really filling, so I will be eating it as a meal. :)


Our meals last week:
Click here to get the links for the meals I made last week.

As I said last week, the spinach bean burrito was really delicious and easy to make.

The spicy slow cooker beef and red pepper was really good, but better the next day. It wasn't very spicy and Alex added a whole lot more sriracha to get the kick he wanted.

The chili pasta bake was okay. I used whole wheat noodles and less cheese than the recipe called for. To me, the best part was the green onion used for garnish. It blended with the chili well to bring out more flavor.

Before I get started on this roasted chicken with red potatoes and asparagus...let me please ask you why I thought 3lbs of chicken was a reasonable amount for two people? Next time I will half this recipe and it will still give us 2-3 meals each. The best part of this is being able to play with the spices on the chicken. You can have the same ingredients but a different meal every time. :)

I hope you will try some of these recipes with me! If not, I hope you are inspired to create yummy food this week! Thanks for stopping bye!

Kelsey


No comments:

Post a Comment