Monday, January 5, 2015

Our Meal Plan (An Attempt to Eat Clean(er)) (2)

Happy Monday!

In the last year or so, I learned that I love to cook. I would by no means call myself an expert (I still rely heavily on recipes), but I like to try! :)  I am excited to introduce  4 new recipes to our kitchen this week.

Sunday- Spinach Bean Burrito Wrap by Skinnyms. Since we had these yesterday, I can confirm that these are easy to make and very delicious. They are surprisingly filling as well- we were good kind of full- feeling satisfied, but not like we were going to burst. We had some leftovers for lunch today and they were great. (2nd day tastiness is very important to me and our reliance on leftovers ;))

Monday- Spicy Slow Cooker Beef & Bell Pepper by Let the Baking Begin. I have this in the crockpot now and it smells delicious. I used beef base Better Than Bouillon (I saw in the comments that she used Chicken Bouillon, so I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make with the flavor) and am eager to see how the dish tastes. I also used a whole onion (I married an onion lover) instead of half, so it may be heavy on the onion taste as well. :) We had some leftover brown rice from the burritos yesterday, so we will top that with the beef and peppers. The recipe called for 2 lbs of beef, so I think we will get a 2-3 meals out of this one.

I am not going to assign these next 2 meals to specific days. In a perfect world, we would have a meal assigned to a specific night, but things come up and dinner plans change.

Meal 3- Chili Pasta Bake by Tasty Kitchen. I know this meal isn't very "clean," but I like that it is flavored using actual spices and not a sodium infused mix. It is supposed to get really chilly (chilly=chili night) later this week, so I will probably save this for one of the colder nights. Also, I love all sorts of pasta so I justified this meal to Alex because I need the carbs for running ;).

Meal 4- Roasted Chicken Breast With Red Potatoes and Asparagus by The Fitness Freak. I think I am the most excited about this one because it is probably the most clean of the bunch. I'm also not a huge fan of asparagus, so I'm hoping this recipe will encourage my consumption of it. :)

I try to pick meals that use similar ingredients, but still provide different tastes and can satisfy the different cravings we typically have throughout the week. (Something spicy, something pasta-y, something paleo-y)/

For lunch, we typically eat leftovers, but I also picked up a couple bags of the Dole Chopped Salad Mix. (We LOVE chipotle ranch). They are so tasty and surprisingly filling!

I said in my last post that I would let you know what we thought about the 2 new recipes we tried. (If you want to see what recipes we tried and the links to all of them, click here.)

The quinoa stuffed bell peppers were okay, but we eventually just cut up the peppers and put them and the quinoa mix in a tortilla. It made a lot for 2 people and I probably won't make it again any time soon. We didn't love the recipe and we have other quinoa recipes we prefer.

The sausage and cheese tortellini was really good...like really, really good. Because we are trying to eat better, this will probably be an every once in a while thing, but we did really enjoy it. No wonder I still see it popping up everywhere on Pinterest. :)

While I love cooking, meal planning is something I get pretty excited about as well. If you have any recommendations for recipes or even any tips for the recipes we are going to try, I always appreciate the input. Also, if you have any questions about how the recipes turned out or about meal planning in general, I'm here!


No comments:

Post a Comment